The Caldwell-West Caldwell School District prohibits bullying in any form. New Jersey’s anti-bullying law specifically includes protection for groups defined by race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or a mental, physical, or sensory disability, or by another other distinguishing characteristic. This law also includes “electronic communication” such as cyber-bullying, or bullying via text messages or social media. Students, staff, and parents who have been subjected to or who have witnessed bullying should immediately report bullying incidents. Once a report of bullying has been made, the incident will be investigated by the proper school personnel.
What is Harassment, Intimidation, or Bullying “HIB”?
In 2011, the NJ State Legislature defined harassment, intimidation, or bullying (HIB). For conduct to be considered an incident of harassment, intimidation, or bullying, there are specific criteria and ALL criteria must be met for it to be substantiated as a “HIB.” Those criteria are:
- Is reasonably perceived as being motivated either by an actual or perceived characteristic, such as race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or a mental, physical or sensory disability, or by any other distinguishing characteristic;
- Takes place on school property, at any school-sponsored function, or on a school bus; or off school grounds, as provided for in N.J.S.A. 18A:37-15.3,
- Substantially disrupts or interferes with the orderly operation of the school or the rights of other students; and that
Below you will find the anti-bullying specialists at each school for the 2022-2023 school year.School Climate State Coordinator Contact Information: HIB@doe.nj.gov
- A reasonable person should know, under the circumstances, will have the effect of physically or emotionally harming a student or damaging the student’s property, or placing a student in reasonable fear of physical or emotional harm to his person or damage to his property; or
- Has the effect of insulting or demeaning any student or group of students; or
- Creates a hostile educational environment for the student by interfering with a student’s education or by severely or pervasively causing physical or emotional harm to the student.
District Anti-Bullying Coordinator