About Mrs. MackenI love teaching! As Lincoln School's Instructional Coach I provide instruction at all grade levels, working with teachers to meet the divergent needs of students. Additionally I coordinate and teach programs for gifted children. I have had the privilege of teaching grades one through five at Lincoln School, leading professional development as a New Jersey Department of Education Achievement Coach, and working with teachers as a primary grade literacy coach. In addition I have taught at Montclair State University's Gifted and Talented Program. I have served as a consultant for children's programming for PBS, as a professional development provider for the American Immigration Law Foundation, local school districts, and WOR radio's Health Education program.I live in West Caldwell with my husband, Tim. We have three grown children, Sheila, Kevin, and Catherine and I am the proud godmother of my great niece, Juniper, pictured above. I love my two schnauzers, Max and Bailey and my dachshund, Buddy. I enjoy reading, gardening, baking, traveling, and exploring New York.
- M.Ed., William Paterson University, NJ
- M.A.T., William Paterson University, NJ
- B.A., magna cum laude, St. Michael’s College, VT
- Teacher K-8
- Reading Specialist
- Educational Media Specialist
Published Education Articles
- “Building Money Skills One Cabin at a Time.” Teaching Children Mathematics, February, 2011.
- “Artifacts Bring Grover Cleveland’s Presidency to Life in the First Grade.”Social Studies and the Young Learner, November/December 2008
- “Bringing It Home.” Teaching K-8. October 2006.
- “You are Not Alone: How to Start a Teachers Network.” Teaching K–8. December/January 2005/2006.
- “Vote for Character.” The Social Studies, January/February 2005.
- “What in the World Do Second Graders Know about Geography?”The Social Studies, March/April 2003
- “Book Review”. The Reading Instruction Journal, Fall/Winter 1999-2000
- “Comparative Writing Made Easy with a Picture Book Series”. The Reading Instruction Journal, Fall/Winter 1998-1999.
- “Walking with the Presidents”. Instructor, January/February, 1997.
- “Reading and Research: Keep It Simple”. The Reading Instruction Journal, Fall/Winter 1996-1997.
- Caldwell-West Caldwell Education Foundation Grant, 2009-2010,2012-2013, 2014-2015, 2016-2017.
- Caldwell-West Caldwell Board of Education Tablet Grant, 2012.
- Target Field Trip Grant, 2009, 2011.
- Associated Antique Dealers of New Jersey Grant, 2007.
- American Immigration Law Foundation Grant, 2005.
- New Jersey Network for Educational Renewal Grant, 2003-2004, 2005-2006.
- Montclair State University Teacher Incentive Grant, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014. 2015, 2016.
- New Jersey Network for Educational Renewal Grant, 2013-2014
- Caldwell/West Caldwell Education Association Grant, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009.
- Environmental Education Grant, Public Service Electric and Gas, 2001.
- Civics Education Grant, The Eagleton Institute, 2000.
- Alice Long Education Grant, 2014.
- Achievement Coach, New Jersey Department of Education, 2015.
- Member of the Teacher Advisory Board of the American Immigration Law Foundation, named 2006.
- John W. Alexander Outstanding Health Project Award, 2003, 2005, 2006.
- Who’s Who in Education 2002, 2007.
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 2002, 2012.
- West Essex Chamber of Commerce Excellence in Education Award, 2001, 2002.
- William Paterson University 2002 Graduate Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Leadership.
- New Jersey Reading Association Susan Mandel Glazer Professional Development Award 2000.