Spring Break Activities for Families
With the arrival of Spring break, and many changed plans for everyone, we thought it would be helpful to share some fun activities you can do as a family at home, indoors and outdoors.
1) Scavenger Hunt: Scavenger hunts are a fun activity to do as a family and helps children practice problem solving skills. Scavenger hunts are also easy to customize to your child’s age and interests. Here are a few tips, ideas and examples to create a successful scavenger hunt:
- How to Plan a Family Scavenger Hunt
- Ideas to Create Your Own Scavenger Hunt
- Gratitude Scavenger Hunt
2) Mindful Walks: Go outside and get some fresh air! If you are looking for something different to do, there are many different types of mindful walks that you can plan for your child. Mindful walks are meant for children to be fully aware of his/her surroundings. Here is a suggestion:
- Mindful Nature Walk - Use the colors of the rainbow! Throughout the walk, ask your child to identify different objects representing all of the colors of the rainbow. Bring a notebook to help keep track of the different objects found! Children can also have more than one object per color but their mindful walk isn’t over until all colors are found!
3) Teach a New Hobby: Now would be a great time to find a new hobby for your child that he/she can really enjoy and pass the time. Is there a hobby that you enjoy that you can introduce to your child? Or something that you could both learn about together? Here are some categories of hobbies that you can introduce to your child:
4) Take a Virtual Field Trip: If the weather doesn't cooperate and outdoor time is not on the agenda, here are some links to virtual places of interest around the world!
- Zoo Live Streams
- National Park Tours
- Other fun virtual field trips
5) Host a Family Game Night - Playing classic board games or trivia games provide hours of entertainment. Puzzles are another great way for the family to strategize together and offer each person something to work on until the final result is achieved by all.
6) Take a trip down memory lane! - It may sound a bit old fashioned, but making photo albums or looking at photo albums is like blasting off in a time machine to another age. Recalling vivid memories, joyous events, comical stories, or memories is important. Learning about family members who have passed on continues their legacy, and lifting up those who are still here and recalling old times can encourage hearts to become sentimental.